Loading, Please Wait...
On the program: exciting events, ice sculptures, electrifying performances, a workout circuit, exhibits and much more!
OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb 5, 2016) - Department of Canadian Heritage
The second weekend of the 38th edition of Winterlude promises to be a thrill. The Capital's winter festival runs until February 15.
Here is an overview of events that will be taking place at Winterlude this weekend. Get up to-the-minute notifications about changes or cancellations in our calendar of events, on Facebook or on Twitter.
Crystal Garden in Confederation Park
Witness a fusion of art and ice at Crystal Garden in Confederation Park! On Saturday, February 6, professional ice carvers will face off in the Ice-Carving Championship. Members of the public will also have an opportunity to create their own ice sculptures with the help of professionals in the Public Ice-Carving Challenge on Sunday, February 7.
Visitors will have many activities to choose from:
- Admire the crystalline works created for the 29th Crystal Garden International Ice-Carving Competition, which was held during the first weekend of Winterlude.
- Visit the *fAUNA *fLORA public art exhibit and interact with works by Canadian artists that explore the park's theme, "Discover Canada's Fauna and Flora!"
- Admire an imposing ice sculpture celebrating the 40th anniversary of the European Union's diplomatic mission in Ottawa and the Framework Agreement for Commercial and Economic Cooperation Between Canada and the European Community.
- Explore the Arctic through photos taken by students during a visit to Sirmilik National Park.
- Marvel at the Canadian Museum of Nature's ice sculpture, Beetleful, an extraordinary work depicting Lucanus Cervus, a stag beetle.
- Admire Explore 150, an exhibit of photos taken by young Canadians in response to the question: "What place in Canada do you identify with?"
- Meet the Kettle Boys to have "olde time" fun!
- Listen to traditional legends and stories by the fire at Aboriginal Experiences.
- Take part in the Insect Ice Dig to see how insects and other animals survive the cold, and dig through the ice to find surprises.
- Learn new dance steps and move to the boisterous rhythms of Bourask and Urban-Element.
- Visit Crystal Garden at night when Winterlude's Sub-Zero Concerts transform it into a vibrant space with electrifying music from Canadian artists. This weekend, Terra Lightfoot and Misteur Valaire will be performing.
- Enjoy a free light snack and hot chocolate at the Enbridge Cabin.
- Get your muscles working in the GoodLife Fitness Fun Zone.
- Sit back and relax at the CIBC Rest Area.
Marion Dewar Plaza
The Winterlude celebrations continue all weekend on the other side of the street at Marion Dewar Plaza, next to Ottawa City Hall, with the following activities:
- Enbridge Energy on Ice figure skating shows at the Sens Rink of Dreams
- Nokia Saturday Skatedays with DJ Rodrigo at the Sens Rink of Dreams
- Giant Tiger Comfy Cozy Cabin
- Shinny hockey featuring Ottawa Senators alumni against Toronto Maple Leafs alumni at the Sens Rink of Dreams
- Skating on the Sens Rink of Dreams
Other Locations in Ottawa
On Saturday, February 6, it's time for the 36th annual Accora Village Bed Race on Laurier Avenue West (between Elgin Street and Nicholas Street), and the 33rd Annual Winterlude Triathlon at Mooney's Bay.
Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques-Cartier Park: Let's Explore Canada's Far North with the Ice Hog Family!
Presented by Canadian Heritage and the Ville de Gatineau, Snowflake Kingdom is the biggest snow playground in North America. The young and young at heart can have fun on the Super Slides in this winter wonderland.
During the second weekend of Winterlude, visitors can also:
- Meet Inuit youth from across Canada's Arctic, who will answer questions about the North and share their unique culture.
- Enjoy cultural performances, including throat singing, modern and traditional songs, and drum dances with Jo L'Érable and the Nunavut Sivuniksavut troupe.
- Get in shape with the new Workout Circuit.
- Rediscover well-known family games such as Connect Four and tic-tac-toe with the help of Giant Games.
- Learn downhill skiing with qualified instructors.
- Try out a kicksled, a family activity that millions of Europeans love.
- Go for a spin through the miniature village of the Giant 3D Little Car Course.
- Take a test of bravery in the XTREME Zone with a zip line, dogsleds, a magic merry-go-round and inflatable games.
- Indulge a taste for sweets at Maple Corner.
- Be entertained by buskers.
- Bring the little tykes to the Kiddie Zone, where they can enjoy traditional games and play structures.
- Be in an animated film, thanks to #NFB GIFnTake.
- Admire the Government of Yukon snow sculpture illustrating the famous poem The Cremation of Sam McGee.
- Meet the Ice Hogs and get a picture taken with them.
- Sing and dance to the traditional music of La Ridaine.
- Experience digital art with Between Sky and Sea, in which a snow sculpture comes to life.
- Share ideas on how to Discover #Canada150.
- Discover the prehistoric and historic archaeology of the Outaouais.
Programming Partners: More Partners, More Diversity and More Fun!
For the 38th edition of Winterlude, more than 50 partners have joined together to present visitors with indoor and outdoor activities of all kinds. Here's an overview of the activities that will take place during the second weekend of Winterlude:
- Cracking Up the Capital Comedy Festival: Women of Humour - Because It's 2016!
- Lansdowne Park Snowscapes: Community Snow Sculpture Contest
- Snow-Art - snow sculptures in the streets of the ByWard Market
- Winter Fantasies on Brewery Creek in Gatineau (Hull sector)
- World War Women at the Canadian War Museum
- Blizzard Bowl - Football Tournament in Lansdowne Park
- CHILL FACTOR continues in Downtown Rideau
- TechnoSnow, games, crafts and exciting science experiments at Ottawa City Hall
- Majestic Arctic: discover the fabled cultural world of the Inuit at the Canadian Museum of History
- SNOWMANIA at various locations in the Glebe neighbourhood
- Outdoor curling in Lansdowne Park
A host of gastronomic experiences also await you this weekend during Winterlude:
Canadian Heritage is proud to present Winterlude with the support of the following official sponsors and site partners: Ville de Gatineau, City of Ottawa, National Capital Commission, CIBC, OLG - Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, Enbridge, Metro Ontario, Nokia, Giant Tiger, Fairmont Château Laurier, The Westin Ottawa, Lord Elgin, National Research Council Canada, Parks Canada, Delegation of the European Union to Canada, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa Art Gallery, Ottawa Redblacks Cheerleading and Dance Team, TakingITGlobal, Aboriginal Experiences, Historica Canada, Snowtime! 3D, Association des stations de ski du Québec, Société de transport de l'Outaouais, OC Transpo, and many others, including the region's hospitality industry. Special thanks to the hundreds of volunteers who contribute their time, talent and energy during the Capital's winter celebration.
Highlights of events taking place during the second weekend of @Winterlude
To learn more about Winterlude, call 1-844-878-8333 or visit www.winterlude.gc.ca.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage